During the past three months, PBS has invested in a lot of significant work during this extraordinary time. Thank you for your support!
We are now hearing news reports of rapid COVID spread in many parts of the country. Yesterday, Governor Newsom announced preemptive measures to protect California from further increases in the rate of infection. He made the following call-to-action: “Now is the time to do all we can – government at all levels and Californians across the state – to flatten the curve again as we have done before.” I’ve recorded a brief talk to our community with some thoughts about the Governor’s call to do all we can and also to achieve our near-term goal of re-starting on-campus instruction on December 7. Please view my message, which sets the stage for the updates and reminders below:
Resources for your family:
- Article on concerning activities that are spreading COVID among student populations, which I refer to in my talk
- Recent holiday travel recommendations from the county and state: PBS’s campus reentry plan meets or exceeds these guidelines.
- Guidance from the CDC on how to celebrate Thanksgiving safely
A reminder of what’s required for your family to return to on-campus instruction on December 7:
- Complete any risky travel no later than Saturday, November 28, and schedule your children’s COVID tests on the fifth day after your return.
- Even if you do not travel, schedule your children’s COVID tests on December 2, 3, or 4 (on-campus testing offered on December 3 and 4).
- Upload your negative COVID results by Sunday, December 6, at 9:00 a.m., which is required for on-campus instruction.
- Exception: Kindergarteners, 1st-graders, and 4th-graders in the Teal Cohort have slightly different testing options because they will be in distance learning the second week after break. They may choose to test along with the rest of the school, or tests may instead be administered December 5–8 (on-campus testing available December 5) with results submitted by Friday, December 11, at 9:00 a.m.
Two additional reminders:
- There is no school on November 23 and 24, although the school’s offices will be operational, mostly remote. School is fully closed on November 25, 26, and 27. The entire school (preschool to 5th grade) is in distance learning in the week of November 30. The PBS campus will be closed from Saturday, November 21, through Sunday, December 6, with the exception of staff coverage for essential services. This measure is being put in place to support faculty-staff health and safety.
- After Thanksgiving, you will have an opportunity to make a new selection or recommit to your student’s learning modality for the next academic session: January 11 through February 26. Until then, it is important for families to honor their current commitment to campus learning or 100% distance learning. Heads-up: Your response will be due on Tuesday, December 8.
As I have said many times, we are in this together. We continue to need a collective commitment to our responsibilities to each other in the holiday weeks ahead. Thank you for your support, and best wishes for a safe and healthy Thanksgiving.