I enjoy the flexibility of the program. This is my third year at PBS as an associate teacher, and the support I’ve received from the administration and lead teachers has been outstanding. The ability to grow in my practice through professional development, reflecting with other lead and assistant teachers, and hands-on teaching experience are preparing me for a role as a lead teacher. Nicole Robinson, Former Associate Teacher and Current 3rd-grade Lead Teacher
- Create a robust program from recruitment to high-quality mentorship, real-time teaching experiences, and how to pursue next steps as educators.
- Meet regularly as a group with specific agenda, partnerships, and supportive networking and coaching.
- Create resources with procedures, goals, and milestones to encourage reflection on teaching craft.
- Build teaching team relationships and provide increased mentoring opportunities.
The Associate Teacher Program at PBS inspires people to be a part of the education community by deepening their experience as educators. We invite individuals who are excited to explore their future in the teaching profession to join our program.
Associate Teacher Expectations
- Enjoy connecting with children and families
- Closely collaborate with colleagues to design curriculum
- Grow as a professional through mentorship with experienced educators
- Expand your toolbox of innovative teaching techniques through generous professional development and on-the-ground training
- Actively contribute to our school community and help develop our program
- Dive into a school that values process learning, collaborative teaching, projects, and reflection
- Learn about yourself
- Laugh a lot!
- Build a scrapbook of once-in-a-lifetime memories
This is a flexible program. Associate teachers will have the opportunity to work with a supportive faculty to create their own hopes and aspirations for their future career path and identity as an educator. In addition to teaching in their own classroom, associate teachers go on to varied careers and pursuits. PBS wants to inspire 21st-century educators to bring their best selves to the classroom and beyond.
PBS encourages associate teachers to think of this as a 2-to-4-year program to make the most of the experience. PBS will be committed to launching their career as an educator through placement in graduate school, a lead teaching position, or many other pathways. We invite the fresh perspectives and experiences that our associates share with our community. PBS teachers embody our core values of love of learning, kindness, courage, and community.
Associate Teacher Basic Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree, with early-childhood education units desired for positions in our Early Learning Center
- Demonstrated desire to work with children
- Experience working with children (e.g. summer camps, tutoring, babysitting, teaching experience)
- Flexible attitude and ability to collaborate
- A growth mindset
Candidates for this position should submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three to five references (including current supervisor). Please combine all documents into a single PDF and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read: Associate Teacher – [your last name].